The Jill & Julia Show


I've been a fan of Jill Sobule's for about 6 or so years now. I've seen her 8 times or so now and met her each time. She is a really nice, really cool, laid back artist...always audience friendly and a smile on her face. I've always heard of her "Jill & Julia Show" concerts where she performs with comedian Juila Sweeney (she's most noted for her role "Pat" on Saturday Night Live & her one woman shows). The format is Jill sings a song and Julia tells a story relating to the song. I've heard fans say how great of a show it is and I never got to experience it...until last weekend.

The Jill & Julia Show came to Sellersville, PA July 11, 2010 for a one night only show. I got tickets for myself and my friend Whitney, who is a big Jill fan, and we ended up with front row tickets and I was over the moon. According to Julia's blog, she is giving up touring and this summer's Jill & Julia Show tour is the last.
Add ImageAdd ImageJustin Trawick, a DC musician, opened the show with a great half hour set that showcased his voice, guitar playing & humor. I really enjoyed his opening song "Mexico". It still sticks with me. I met him after the show and he is a really nice guy, very friendly. Definitely one of my favorite openers for Jill that I've seen. If you get a chance to see him...go! Check his website www.justintrawick.com for tour dates and news.

After a short intermission, Jill & Julia came out and put on a fantastic hour and 15 minute set. Julia's stories had the audience rolling on the floor in laughter. I had tears coming out of my eyes from laughing so hard. Topics of Julia's ranged from a hilarious phone conversation with her mother, how she met her husband, teaching her daughter the facts of life and her first experience with acid. Jill had a song to follow up each one. It was definitely a unique show and I think one of my favorite Jill shows I've been to (well...with the exception of the one where she called me up on stage to hold up lyric sheets so I'm a bit biased). During the show, Jill played her biggest hit, "I Kissed a Girl" or as she introduced it "...a Katy Perry cover..." and ended it with "...I kissed her first...". They are only playing a handful of shows together, so if they come to your area---go! go! go!

After the show, Julia & Jill both came out to talk to the fans. I got my picture taken with Julia first and she signed my copy of her DVD, "Letting Go of God". I also asked her about her cameo on "Mad About You" where she played a French language professor...she was surprised I remembered and said she had to learn everything phonetically but it was a fun. I then got my pic taken with Jill and she remembered me and loved my "California Years" shirt :) She remembered the time I came up on stage and signed the pic I had of it for me. I told her I was definitely making it to her Harrisburg show and she asked if I knew anything about the venue, and I told her I didn't. After a few more minutes of chatting and signing Whit & I headed out. We both agreed it was one of our favorite shows.

















----info on the upcoming Harrisburg concert---

10/21/2010 at Midtown Scholar Bookstore...tickets are $20.


Set list for the Jill & Julia Show
(not necessarily in order)
Love Is Never Equal
Heroes
Somewhere In New Mexico
Cinnamon Park
Nothing To Prove
Wendell Lee
I Kissed a Girl
Strawberry Gloss
Mexican Wrestler
Lucky In Love
ENCORE: A Good Life

Comments

  1. Justin is great, and he needs to get some t-shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna get the CDs he has out and go see him in concert again. Really enjoyed his set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I remember seeing you in the lobby and thinking what a cool shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Karen! lol...got it last time I saw Jill in December and was one of the last shirts for sale. She said she has to make new ones.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts