Review: Millie Jackson at the Howard Theater August 3, 2012

The first time I had ever heard of Millie Jackson was in the early 2000's when I picked up the book "The Soulful Divas" by David Nathan.  I had heard of most of the artists in the book he had interviewed, but it was my first exposure to Ms. Jackson.  Just reading about her and her career I became fascinated.  She chose to be true to herself as an artist and in the process never hit the superstar status of other R&B divas.  By reading my blog, especially my Ann Richards entry, you know I like strong women who stand up for themselves and create their own paths.  Millie Jackson is definitely one of those women.

One day in mid-July I was listening to Millie's album, "Live & Outrageous" (note-if you don't have this album, buy it, you won't regret it-it's the perfect introduction to her music) and I decided to Google her name and see if she was touring.  I about jumped out of my chair when I saw she was coming to the Howard Theater in DC Friday August 3.

I got to the Howard a few hours before the start time to find Millie's tour bus out front (VERY retro!) and wouldn't you know it, I was talking to my mom (who decided to come along with me) and out of the front doors comes a group of guys with a woman in the middle and they head out to the bus...OMG, Millie just walked right by me and I was too dumb to realize it!  AKA I missed my chance to get a picture & autograph!

Anyways, when doors open, we were seated at a table near the stage (close, but not too close).  Let me say here The Howard is a beautiful venue.  It was my first time at this amazing historic theater and after being closed for so many years and all the money they spent remodeling it, it was an awe experience being inside.

At 7:30, Al Johnson of The Unifics opened the show singing a few songs to backing tracks. The 64 year old Johnson showed he still has great stage presence and the crowd loved him and sang along.  I was unfamiliar with him, but enjoyed his set.

Shortly after 8pm, the one and only Millie Jackson hit the stage decked out in a low cut silver mini dress complete with matching shoes-the Millie I had seen head onto the bus dressed in a white top, white pants and hair pulled back a few hours earlier had done a complete 180.  Not 5 minutes into her first number, "Breaking Up Somebody's Home", she started letting the expletives fly.  At 68 years old, Jackson has not tamed her act and showed she is still as outrageous as ever.

When you see Jackson in concert, she doesn't just stand there and sing.  She is known for being interactive with her audience, tells stories and just lets loose.  "Tell it Miss Millie!" "Preach it Miss Millie", "You Go Girl!" "Say it!" were shouted from the audience throughout the show, encouraging Millie as she did her raps between songs.

She has a wicked, sharp sense of humor and is definitely a spit fire with no signs of slowing down.  Backed by a 9 piece band (which included 3 horn players), she dove into a set list that ranged from her classic hits such as "If Loving You Is Wrong (I Don't Want To Be Right)", "If You're Not Back In Love By Monday" and "Hurts So Good" to quite a few numbers off her most recent (recent meaning 2001) album, "Not For Church Folk" including "Old Bitches (Got It Going On)" and "Butt-A-Cize".

She also performed her cover of Def Leppard's "Pour Some Sugar On Me" that she had recorded on her 1994 "Rock N' Soul" album.  She introduced it by saying she was watching TV and heard her song in the "Rock of Ages" movie trailer.  "...of course they didn't use my version.  Probably was why it was no fuckin' hit.  I just did it 'cause I felt like it.  I wanted Tina Turner to know she wasn't the only black bitch to sing rock n roll."
 
Partway through her set, Jackson had talked about what kind of show she was booked for:  "They told me 17 and up, I was fucking at 17 so I thought it was alright".

This lead into her talking about her episode of TV One's "Unsung" and when they asked her to do it she said "It's gonna be boring!  They asked why and I said well number one I'm still alive and you like dead fucks.  Number two, ya'll like drug addicts and drug dealers.  I ain't had to do none of that shit.  I wake up high...and I'm too damn cheap to buy some drugs".  She was also happy they allowed bleeps and was surprised TV One secured the rights to a UK concert in the 80's to air one of her most infamous songs..."There was one so long, one bleep was so long I thought my TV had gone wrong...bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!  I simply said Fuck You" which lead into Millie's "Phuck You Symphony". 

Afterward Jackson commented, "We did a newer version...I just felt like after all these years something should be added."  With that, she started out singing "You don't know", repeating it a few times before adding "You don't know who you're fuckin' with..." to the audience's delight & amusement.

One woman right in front of the stage was laughing so hard, Millie stopped the show, "Do we need to take time and let you go take a pee break?" Millie asked her smiling as the woman just roared louder with laughter and was able to say "You crazy, I don't know how ya'll work with her" which had Millie and her band cracking up.  They ended up changing the pace and did a medley of songs from "Get It Out 'Cha System" mixed in with a bit of Rod Stewart's "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" while Millie introduced the band before heading off stage.

After thunderous applause and a standing ovation Millie came back out, bare footed..."Greedy Motherfuckers...and you got the band on your side!"  She closed the hour and a half show with an incredibly moving version of Phil Collin's "I Wish It Would Rain Down" before shaking hands and leaving the stage while the band played out.

I was blown away by her show.  It was such a fun, energetic experience.  You can tell she enjoys doing what she does and she feeds off the energy of the crowd.  There is no one like Millie Jackson.  If you get a chance to see this incredible woman in concert, go, you will not be disappointed.   

---SET LIST---
Breaking Up Somebody's Home
If Loving You Is Wrong (I Don't Want To Be Right)
Butt-A-Cize
Pour Some Sugar On Me
Loving Arms
If You're Not Back In Love By Monday
Hurts So Good
The Lies That We Live
Old Bitches (Got It Going On)
Trying 2 Get U Back
Leave Me Alone
Phuck U Symphony
You Don't Know Who You're Fuckin' With
Keep The Home Fire Burnin'
Put Something Down On It
Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?
Band Intro's
Put Something Down On It (Reprise)
Encore: I Wish It Would Rain Down

Comments

  1. Great review! And thanks so much for the set list because I couldn't remember all the songs she did due to my head spinning the entire night! It was certainly a momentous occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brian well written cool pictures can I use them steal them take em for my for millie j fans only page. ... ull love it I think. i had a movie playing in my mind reading this adventure of yours .. I... loved it super review

    ReplyDelete
  3. so if ur a fan too as I suppose then pleeease connect https://m.facebook.com/MillieJackson4FansOnly I hope u like it ciao

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! Feel free to use my photos for the page, I just liked it :) So sorry for the delay...been sidetracked and haven't gotten to update the page as much as I would love to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only ever saw Millie once at the Colosseum Theatre in Jo'burg during the 80's. Both my wife and I were already MJ fans, but we expected her to have to tone down her act in SA...no way!!!
    Just like in your review....within minutes the expletives started flying and she had the audience eating out of her hand. Great singer.

    John (Uk)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts