The Sound of Love: Darlene Love @ Montgomery College

Darlene Love performed her "Sound of Love" concert at Montgomery College in Rockville, MD January 5.  The show was opened by Darlene's sister, Edna Wright.  Wright was the lead singer of the group Honey Cone from the early 70's who had hits with "Want Ads", "Stick Up" and "One Monkey Don't Stop No Show".  She performed a few of her hits along with a gorgeous cover of Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me".  To close out her set, Darlene came out and they performed the soul classic, "Hold On (I'm Coming)" before Love started her part of the show.  After a few numbers, there was a short intermission with Darlene's second act starting with a video of career highlights.  Love performed many of big hits including "He's a Rebel" and "Today I Met The Boy I'm Going To Marry" along with Marvin Gaye, Righteous Brothers & Roberta Flack covers.  To close out the show Love & Wright performed "River Deep, Mountain High" which Darlene had thought was meant for her, only to have Phil Spector give it to Tina Turner. 

SET LIST
 -EDNA WRIGHT-

One Monkey Don't Stop No Show
The Day I Found Myself
I Can't Make You Love Me
Want Ads
Hold On (I'm Coming) (w/Darlene)
-DARLENE-
Marvelous
He's a Fine, Fine Boy

Set 2
If You Believe
Ain't That Peculiar
You're All I Need To Get By
Ain't No Mountain High Enough
What's Going On
Today I Met The Boy I'm Gonna Marry
Killing Me Softly/Where Is The Love
Soul and Inspiration
Wait Til My Bobby Gets Home
Da Doo Ron Ron
He's a Rebel
River Deep, Mountain High (w/Edna)














Comments

Popular Posts