Scissor Sisters at the 9:30 Club, Washington DC


I don't know where to begin talking about this show, but before I start I will say that it's a night that will always stick with me.  Not only was it a night of great music, it was a night of meeting new friends.  

I woke up Monday morning after only a few hours sleep Sunday night.  Before I went to sleep I learned (as I talked about in the previous post) a friend of mine, Ric, passed away which was a complete shock.  So Monday morning a concert was kind of the last thing I really wanted to do, but I knew I had to go.  If I had decided not to go, Ric would've been disappointed.  

I get to where Mega Bus departs and go figure-nearly 2 hours late.  I swear the next time I decide to travel I'm just going to hide under my bed until the feeling passes.  I am THE poster child for bad traveling  ha ha.  I get to DC around 1pm and grab lunch, walk around and around quarter of 4 I decided I should better head to the 9:30 Club and make sure I get a good spot in line.  

The weather was hot...it was in the 90's, so with water in hand I get to the 9:30 Club at 4:30 and there are already 3 people there.  We started chatting and it turns out they're hard core Scissor Sisters fans.  Rita and Paul were going to see them the following night again in DC and then Philly on Thursday and NYC Friday & Saturday...that's dedication!  Meeting Karen, Rita & Paul was a major highlight of my day.  I've been a fan for years, but I've never seen them live and they were so welcoming to this newbie.  At 6, we went to the downstairs bar for drinks and they told me about meeting the band, their travels to see them and also their travels to see a few of their other favorites (George Michael, Duran Duran and Rufus Wainwright).  

At 7, we were let upstairs and secured our place front in center in front of the stage.  Sammy Jo spun a mix of songs including a few from one of Rita & Karen's favorites, Duran Duran (as requested by Rita while waiting in line).  Around 8:30 opening act Rye Rye took the stage with 2 male dancers.  She's quite the energetic rapper and along with some hard beats and lyrics, she can really dance.  We looked up and in the left balcony Ana Matronic from the Scissor Sisters was dancing along having a great time. 

Around 9:40, 9:45 The Scissor Sisters took the stage and until 11:10 they had everyone dancing and singing along.  It was such an amazing experience for me seeing them for the first time.  From listening to their albums, watching their concert DVDs and YouTube clips to being front and center at one of their shows with Jake Shears and Ana Matronic being right there dancing around...it was just one of those OMG moments.  


They're new album, "Magic Hour", is one of my favorites and they offered a nice dose of songs off the album along with hits off their three previous albums.  One of the highlights for me was the performance of "Let's Have a Kiki".  It's such a fun song and it's a big hit right now among the Gay community.  Their performance of it was fantastic.  The whole show from start to finish was flawless.  The dialogue between songs was fun and Ana even gave Rita a shout out!  A few songs into the show Jake splashed us with water which was nice way to cool off. 


After a costume change and the encore of "Only The Horses", Ana saw two fans who made Scissor Sisters shirts and asked one of them for a shirt and told them they could both get any shirt they wanted from the merchandise booth which was really sweet.  It's obvious how much they love their fans which is another reason I love them.  They said the 9:30 Club was one of their favorite rooms to play.  When Ana mentioned they had played DAR (another DC venue) & was greeted by boos she said it's because it's not their type of venue-they have chairs and you don't sit at a Scissor Sisters concert ha ha.  

Before their last song, "Music Is The Victim", Jake got up on the barrier rail and held hands as he walked across.  He got to my area and decided to fall into the crowd and was being held up.  It was one thing when he touched my hand, it's another when he's literally right above you LOL.  I got to hold part of his leg, security helped him back onto stage, he got down again and ran in front touching hands.  So I got to touch Jake three times which let me tell ya-pretty frickin' cool!!  

At the end of the show my new group of friends and I got a group picture together (I held up my "Let's Have a Kiki" Tour shirt) and they gave me one of the set lists since it was my first Scissor Sisters shows.  I REALLY wish I had more time to spend with them afterward after such a great evening.  I briefly got to meet their friends Michael & Trevor before I had to run out and hail a taxi to make my bus back to Pennsylvania (The bus was leaving at 11:45 and I got to Union Station around 11:35).  

 It was such a fun show, I can not emphasize that enough.  The whole experience of meeting new people, having fun and seeing an amazing group live...it doesn't get any better than that!

(Rita, Karen, myself and Paul..."My what a wonderful Kiki!")

SET LIST
---
Any Which Way
Keep Your Shoes On
Baby Come Home
Skins
Kiss You Off
Inevitable
Take Your Mama Out
Running Out
Year of Living Danerously
Let's Have a Kiki
Skin This Cat
Mary
Comfortably Numb
Invisible Light
Shady Love
I Don't Feel Like Dancing
ENCORE:
Only The Horses
Music Is The Victim

Comments

Popular Posts