EVITA Philadelphia 2014

EVITA
Broadway Touring Production
Academy of Music
Philadelphia, PA 
June 21, 2014 (Afternoon show)


 When I was in 4th grade, I remember seeing previews for 'Evita', the movie starring Madonna, and begging my brother to take me to see it.  I was a big music fanatic then too and loved Madonna and even though I had no idea what the movie was about, I had to see it.  So my brother took me to the movie theater that used to be down by Dutch Wonderland in Lancaster and I just thought it was the greatest thing...it was so elaborate and I thought Madonna was great.  I remember talking to my teacher about it at school and asking all kinds of questions about the real life Eva Peron.  As I got older, I read all I could find on her, got the different cast recordings and just always enjoyed learning new things about this fascinating woman.  

When I was in NYC with my ex and saw 'Evita' was coming back to Broadway starring Ricky Martin, I really wanted to go, but sadly, didn't get the chance.  The Academy of Music in Philly announced it was hosting the Broadway Touring Production, so of course, I had to go and finally see it.  I loved it!  After just only seeing the movie and wondering how it would be on stage, I was thrilled to see how they utilized to bring it all to life.  The leads had great voices and stage presence which was definitely needed to bring these characters to life.  While 'Evita' isn't exactly your happy go lucky musical with an upbeat score, big dance numbers, splashy costumes-plus it's bookend with a funeral-it holds your attention, captivates you and makes you feel the emotion the actors pour out portraying these slightly flawed people who all want a better life. 

Comments

Popular Posts